Published on August 3rd, 2012 | by ddeupree0
Optivar eye drops
Optivar Eye drops for allergies
Other Names: Astelin, Azelastine
Optivar, an antihistamine, is used to treat hay fever and allergy symptoms including runny nose, sneezing, and itchy nose.
This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How should Optivar be used?
Optivar is dispensed as a nasal spray or eyedrops.
Azelastine nasal spray is usually sprayed in each nostril two times a day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Use azelastine exactly as directed. Do not use more or less of it or use it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
Before using azelastine for the first time, remove the child-resistant screw cap and replace with the pump unit. Prime the delivery system (pump unit) with four sprays or until a fine mist appears. If 3 days or more have elapsed since your last use of the nasal spray, reprime the pump with two sprays or until a fine mist appears.
Optivar special precautions?
Before using azelastine:
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to azelastine or any other drugs.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially other cold and allergy products, antihistamines, and vitamins.
- tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while using azelastine, call your doctor.
- if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using azelastine.
- you should know that this drug may make you drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
- remember that alcohol can add to the drowsiness caused by this drug.
What should I do IF I FORGET to take a dose of Optivar?
Use the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not use a double dose to make up for a missed one.
Optivar side effects?
Although side effects from azelastine are not common, they can occur. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
- bitter taste
- weight increase
- muscle pain
- nasal burning
How do I store Optivar?
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.
What OTHER INFORMATION should I know?
Keep all appointments with your doctor.
Do not let anyone else use your medication. Ask your pharmacist any questions you have about refilling your prescription.
See also Patanol eye drops